Adam Richmond did it, I did it, and now it's your turn to do it! On Sunday, Sept. 18, Brick Lane Curry House in Montclair will host a Phaal Challenge! The infamous Phaal curry sauce is recognized as one of the hottest curries in the world, weighing in at more than 1 million Scoville heat units.
Want to give it a try? The rules are simple:
1. The challenge is open to the first 12 people to arrive at 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 18 to take the challenge. The cost to participate is $10.
2. A bowl of Phaal (Lamb or chicken), rice and Naan bread will be served.
3. Contestants can bring their libation of choice.
4. First one to finish will be the 2011 Phaal Curry Monster, have their picture on the wall as the winner, and get a gift certificate to eat at any Brick Lane Curry House, as well as a plaque on "their" table at the Montclair Brick Lane Restaurant. The winner will be included in the Phaal Hall of Fame website, on the Brick Lane Facebook page and have the bragging rights of being a Phaal Curry Monster for 2011.
6. Hot From The Kettle will be shooting a video of the Phaal challenge. The winner will be the star of that video.
If you do take the Phaal Curry challenge, be warned, drinking water will only make matters worse. Chef Karthik Kumar advises that the best thing to quell the heat is a dairy drink, specifically a mango lassie.
Want to see just what goes into the Phaal. Watch the video!