A Montclair developer is one of 11 businesses, universities and civic leaders to win an environmental award from Gov. Chris Christie's office for its accomplishments in enhancing and protecting the state’s environment.
The Christie Administration recognized RPM Development Group, located at 77 Park St., on Tuesday for its advancements in innovative technologies.
RPM’s Grand Central development in Orange was the first multi-family climate controlled building in the state, and was recognized for its “pioneering effort designed to approach net-zero energy use,” according to a press release from the governor’s office.
Grand Central provides 70 units of affordable housing and uses a multitude of energy saving technologies, such as a solar photovoltaic system for power, a solar collector system for preheating water, exterior and roof insulation, and heat recovery ventilators.
The governor’s office will formally award RPM and the 11 other winners the Governor’s Environmental Excellence Award at the 13th annual awards ceremony Tuesday evening at the New Jersey State Museum.
The program is co-sponsored by the state Department of Environmental Protection and the New Jersey Corporation for Advanced Technology, in partnership with the New Jersey State League of Municipalities.
A panel of judges accepted and reviewed nominations that featured various environmental projects and activities.
The other winners to be recognized Tuesday will be:
- Princeton University, of Princeton, for clean air
- Willow School, of Gladstone, for water resources
- Drew University, of Madison, for healthy ecosystems
- The City of Linden, for land conservation
- Mannington Mills, of Salem, for healthy and sustainable businesses
- Camden SMART Initiative, for healthy and sustainable communities
- Alder Avenue Middle School, of Egg Harbor Township, for environmental education
- Paul G. Gaffney II, Monmouth University President, for environmental leadership
- Leonard Berkowitz, Berkeley Heights Environmental Commission, for environmental stewardship
- South Jersey Transportation Authority, won the Clean Water New Jersey award
To learn more about the Governor’s Environmental Excellence Awards visit www.nj.gov/dep/eeawards.