Graffiti vandals' tags have been appearing all over Montclair, on both public and private buildings, cars, train stations and other areas.
Township officials announced the Stamp Out Graffiti! reward program this week in an effort to identify and prosecute graffiti vandals.
A $500 reward is offered to anyone providing information that leads to the arrest of any of the eight vandals whose tags most frequently appear in Montclair. The program also offers a $250 reward for information leading to the arrest of other graffiti vandals effacing public and private buildings in town.
The funds for the program were donated by business and civic leaders, according to the township.
Police ask for the following type of information to help identify a suspect:
- A clear photo or video from which identification can be made
- A license plate of a vehicle that may be used by the suspect and that may belong to the suspect
- Forensic evidence, such as fingerprints, blood, saliva that was left at scene
- A witness that can identify the individual based on previous knowledge
- A good description that could be used in a composite sketch
Helpful descriptors include age, gender, height, weight, hair color, hair length, use of glasses, wearing jewelry, wearing a cap or scarf, hat, other clothing or footwear description, ethnicity, facial features, beard, mustache and tattoos.
Anyone with information which could lead to identifying graffiti vandals is asked to call the police tips line at 973 509-4708.