Essex County residents are invited to dispose of household hazardous waste safely on Saturday, Oct. 5, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The fall collection was moved to 25 Fairview Ave. in Cedar Grove next to the old Essex County Hospital Center due to ongoing construction of a new Essex County Public Works Building.
All containers must be five gallons or smaller or 10 pounds or lighter.
- Old car and household batteries (9V, NiCad)
- Oil based paints and stains, paint thinners, cleaning fluid, pool chemicals, antifreeze
- Household fire extinguishers
- Propane tanks (barbecue only)
- Darkroom/photographic chemicals, chemistry sets, mercury and products containing mercury, fluorescent lights, ballast, gasoline, transmission and steering oils and brake fluids
- Pesticides and herbicides
Materials Not Accepted
- Latex paint (which can be dried and disposed of with regular waste)
- Unlabeled or unidentifiable materials
- Explosives, munitions, ordnance or highly reactive materials
- Regulated medical or infectious waste
The Essex County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day is for county residents only. Residents are not charged when they bring materials, but they must provide proof of residency at the site. Commercial businesses may not drop off materials.
For more information, call the Essex County Utilities Authority at 973-792-9060 or visit www.ecuanj.com.