• The Montclair Township's annual Veterans Day Memorial Service will begin at 11 a.m. in Edgemont Park.
In the event of rain, services will be held in the municipal building, 205 Claremont Ave. For more information, call (973) 509-4915.
• At 7:30 p.m. at Montclair State University, at 1 Normal Ave., in the John J. Cali School of Music, Leshowitz Recital Hall, the School of Communication and Media will feature four distinguished guests to debate how political journalism has developed in the 21st century and the impact of the media’s coverage on the recent campaign.
The featured speakers will be:
- Jonathan Alter, political columnist for Bloomberg
- Robert George, editorial writer for the New York Post
- Brigid Harrison, a professor of political science and law at Montclair State University
- Timothy O’Brien, executive editor for the Huffington Post
Moderating the discussion will be Merrill Brown, director of the university’s School of Communication and Media.
Parking will be available in the the Red Hawk Parking Deck. For directions, go to www.montclair.edu.
• The Federal Emergency Management Agency will hold a workshop with Montclair residents and business owners on how to apply for disaster assistance at 7 p.m. in the municipal building, at 205 Claremont Ave.
TV34 will air the workshop live and will later make the video available at http://montclair.peg.tv.
• The Board of Adjustment will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the municipal building, at 205 Claremont Ave.
• Van Vleck House, at 21 Van Vleck St., will hold its Deck the Halls Open House from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Van Vleck House.
Don’t miss this once-a-year opportunity to tour the interior of Van Vleck House, a Mediterranean-style villa surrounded by five acres of public gardens.
The Van Vleck House will also begin holdings its Pop-Up Boutique from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The event will feature boutique vendors who will sell holiday gifts and decorations from local artisans and designers.
The Pop-Up Boutique will be held between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on the following dates: Nov. 16, 17, 21, 23, 24, 28, 29 and 30, and Dec. 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8.
There will additionally be a Deck the Halls Luncheon from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Enjoy a lunch buffet in the festively decorated Van Vleck House with speaker Sam Shaw, sculptor and jewelry designer. The Shaw Design collection will be available for purchase.
There is a fee of $65 for the the lunch buffet and reservations are required.
Upcoming events at the Van Vleck House include:
- Deck the Halls "Nature Illuminated" Cocktail Party, on Friday from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Morning with Santa at Van Vleck House, on Saturday 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
For more information about these events and more, call (973) 744-4752 or send an email to email@example.com.
• Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience will play at the Wellmont Theatre, at 5 Seymour St.
Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show begins at 8 p.m. Click here for tickets.
• The Civil Rights Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the municipal building, at 205 Claremont Ave.
The Adult School of Montclair
• The Adult School of Montclair will offer the following classes this week:
- Why Sub-Saharan Africa Matters, from 7:30 to 9 p.m. on Monday
- The Battle of Pussy Willow Creek, a Mockumentary/Satire, from 7 to 9:15 p.m. on Tuesday
- Molly Stevens: On Roasting and Braising, from 7:30 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday.
All classes will be held at Montclair High School, at 100 Chestnut St. For more information about these classes and more, click here. There is a fee to attend.
The Montclair Public Library
• For a full listing of upcoming events at the Montclair Public Library, at 50 S. Fullerton St., click here.
• The Federal Emergency Management Agency has opened a Disaster Recovery Center in Springfield to support residents who suffered damage from the megastorm Sandy. Any survivor in New Jersey may visit this disaster center.
Disaster recovery specialists from various local, state and federal agencies will be at the center to assist individuals and answer questions regarding disaster assistance.
The Disaster Recovery Center will be open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Chisholm School Community Center, at 100 S. Springfield Ave., Springfield.
Individuals can begin the disaster application process by calling the toll-free registration numbers: 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers are available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. until further notice.
More information can also be found at http://www.fema.gov.
• The Montclair Police Department and Police Benevolent Association 53 is collecting donations to help those most effected by Hurricane Sandy.
A collection center will be set up in the Clairidge Cinema lobby, at 486 Bloomfield Ave., Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The department is asking residents to donate the following items:
- Household items
- Nonperishable foods
- Hygiene items
- Pet supplies
- Cleaning products
- Baby formula
- Canned foods