• The Garden Club of Montclair will meet at 1 p.m. in at 60 South Fullerton Ave. This month the discussion will be The Artistic Elements of Landscape and Garden Design. The guest speaker will be Chuck Baum.
The discussion will be $5 for nonmembers. For more information, call (973) 704-1515.
• The Northern New Jersey Chapter of the Victorian Society in America will present European Diplomacy During the Victorian Era at 8 p.m. in the Montclair Women's Club, at 82 Union St. The guest speaker will be Domenic Maffei, a Caldwell College professor, who will talk about the nature of diplomacy during the Victorian Era.
Refreshments will be served. There is a fee of $5 for members and $25 for nonmembers. For more information, call (973) 744-5916.
• The Montclair School Board will convene at 7:30 p.m. in the George Inness Annex, 151 Park St. The agenda for the upcoming meeting can be found here, or in the photo gallery.
• Today will be the final day to regerister to vote in the Nov. 6 election. The Municipal Clerk's Office in the municipal building, at 205 Claremont Ave., will be open until 9:00 p.m. to take registrations.
Those who haven't registered yet can also register online before the deadline at rockthevote.com.
The deadline to mail in your vote is Oct. 30. After that, applications still be hand delivered to the Essex County Clerk’s Office.
For more information about voting, go to www.njelections.org or call 1 (877) 658-6837.
• Brother to Brother will have an Open House to start its 2012-2013 mentoring program at 6:30 p.m. at Montclair High School, 141 Park St. The reception is for parents and guardians, teenagers, teachers, guidance counselors, and local residents who are interested in learning more about the mentoring program for middle and high-school students.
• The Montclair Township Council will have a regular meeting in the municipal building, at 205 Claremont Ave. The conference meeting will begin at 7 p.m. in the second floor conference room, followed by the regular meeting in the first floor council chambers.
• The second presidential debate between President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney will begin at 9 p.m.
You can join the Patch's debate viewing party at the Cloverleaf Tavern, at 395 Bloomfield Ave., in Caldwell, starting at 8 p.m.
We are seeking Democrats and Republicans, undecided voters, small business owners, civic-minded citizens and those interested in the political process. So stop by, share your views and have a few drinks!
• The Board of Adjustment will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the council chambers of the municipal building, 205 Claremont Ave.
• The Historic Preservation Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the council chambers of the municipal building, 205 Claremont Ave.
• The Watchung Booksellers, at 54 Fairfield St. in Watchung Plaza, will have author Mary Bruno stop by at 7 p.m. Bruno will discuss her recent book, "An American River: From Paradise to Superfund, Afloat on New Jersey's Passaic."
• A Halloween monster outdoor movie will be shown at 6:30 p.m. at Edgemont Park, located on Valley Road. The movie will be rated PG. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs for an evening under the stars!
Apple cider, doughnuts, popcorn and other goodies will be available for purchase. The movie will be hosted by Montclair Recreation and Applegate Farm. For more information, call the Recreation Department at (973) 509-4915.
• The township’s ninth annual Compost Give-Back will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Edgemont Park, located on Valley Road. Montclair residents will be able to pick-up free compost, buy low-cost compost bins, and learn about greener and healthier yard care.
For more information, send an email to the Office of Environmental Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Compost Information Hotline at (973) 509-5721.
• A Harvest Fest at Whole Foods in Montclair will be from noon to 3 p.m. at the store, 701 Bloomfield Ave. The event will feature carnival games, a pumpkin patch, apple cider tasting, food, music and more.
• Sign up for the Recreation Department's ski and snowboard program beginning Monday, Oct. 22, at 6 p.m. at the municipal building, 205 Claremont Ave.
The department is offering skiing and snowboarding trips to Mountain Creek, in Vernon. The program is open to children in grades seven through 12. The trips will take place on Thursdays for five weeks beginning Jan. 10. Space will be limited.
• A Third Ward community meeting will be on Thursday, Nov. 1, at 7:30 p.m. in the Hillside School cafeteria, at 54 Orange Road. Councilor Sean Spiller will host the meeting to discuss current issues in the Montclair community. The meeting will be open to the public.