Tributes to alternative rock, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Wonder, singer/songwriters, Jersey underground artists, and Pink Floyd will keep students busy as the weather heats up.
School of Rock Montclair will be offering six performance programs this spring for its enrolled students. Rehearsals for the programs will begin this week and will continue through the end of May, when the students will perform their shows at area venues.
“In addition to having their weekly one-on-one music lessons with our professional staff, the young musicians in our spring performance programs will also rehearse their repertoires for three hours each week,” says Phil Silverberg, general manager of School of Rock Montclair. “The hard work will pay off with five amazing, two-hour concerts plus a brand new studio production project that will blow away friends, family, and even the kids themselves.”
The themes for this spring’s School of Rock Montclair performance programs are tributes to:
- Alt-Nation – Featuring ground-breaking modern hits by The Strokes, MGMT, Radiohead, Awolnation, Gang of Four, Cage the Elephant, M83, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, Muse, Imagine Dragons, Two Door Cinema Club, Passion Pit, Atlas Genius, and more. The program will culminate in performances of the repertoire at area rock venues.
- Coffeehouse: The Singer/Songwriter Experience – Featuring melodic, story-telling songs by Bob Dylan, John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Taj Mahal and Nick Drake, Ryan Adams, India Arie, Citizen Cope, Jack Johnson, Fiona Apple, Beck, Neko Case, and more. The program will culminate in performances of the repertoire at area rock venues.
- Jersey Underground – Featuring songs by artists who originated in the Garden State, including The Misfits, Dillinger Escape Plan, Kool & the Gang, The Gaslight Anthem, My Chemical Romance, The Lumineers, Blues Traveler, Whitney Houston, The Sugarhill Gang, Overkill, Blondie, and more. The program will culminate in fundraising performances of the repertoire at area rock venues that will benefit the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund.
- Stevie Wonder – Featuring hits that represent Stevie’s wide range of spectacular sounds, including pop, r&b, reggae, funk, and jazz. The program will culminate in performances of the repertoire at area rock venues.
- Jimi Hendrix – Featuring the most important and influential songs from one of the greatest rock icons of all time. The program will culminate in performances of the repertoire at area rock venues.
- Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” – Students will recreate this seminal rock album in School of Rock Montclair’s digital recording studio. Upon program completion, students will have reproduced the entire album, song-by-song. The season will end with a CD release listening party where students will show off their studio chops and discuss how they accomplished their amazing remake.
Rehearsals for School of Rock Montclair’s spring performance programs will take place at the School’s address on 125 Valley Road. The five performance program concerts will be held in June at area venues. For more info, please contact Phil at 973-337-5296.